Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Work Stations

Currently I have 9 work stations that my class uses daily.  They are: Big Book, Poetry, Overhead, Math, Writing, Classroom Library, ABC/Word Work, Puzzle & Game, and Art Project Work Station. 

During our half hour of RTII (Response to Instruction and Intervention) time, some of the children get small group intensive practice on reading/math skills, while others are working on their work station goals. I have created a variety of themed work station goal sheets to keep the students accountable for the work they are doing at the different work stations.

I want the children to be enriched while reinforcing skills previously learned. I have found the work stations to be a great addition to my daily schedule.  Before I would have to give the children many worksheets and workbook pages to complete while I worked with individual students or small groups.  By the time I would explain all of the directions to the children and start to work with a small group, the children, who were at their desks, already forgot all of the directions and would be coming up to me. I would get nothing done and would have what seemed like thousands of papers to check in the evening.

The work station goal sheets are simple and quick to check.  They children do not even realize that they are doing "real" work. They enjoy using clipboards and working at different work stations spread out around the room.

Some of the activities on the goal sheets were created by me, found online, or borrowed from others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment